Best Outdoor String Lights of 2021
So, you are looking at your patio at night and realizing that it is lifeless – it’s total darkness, and your backyard lamp doesn’t do much to provide much-needed lighting. A patio is where all the fun should happen; you know-family gatherings, birthday parties, and catches with friends over some drinks. To breathe some life into it, you need to invest in outdoor patio string lights.
Patio string lights can light up your porch while enjoying a glass of wine with your better half, family, or friends. These lights are versatile and can be used at a wide range of events – from weddings and dances to cookouts while you relax on your patio.
The problem with these lights comes when you decide to buy the perfect options for your patio. There are outdoor lights with bug bulbs that provide more light to your patio; there are smaller LED lights that provide brightness with different colors, and then there are the solar versions that save your electricity bill.
To save you from the hassle of choosing the right one, we’ve researched some of the best outdoor string lights of 2021 you can use today and bring your home to life. The buying-out guide also provides some insightful points to help you make a more informed decision.
12 Best Outdoor String Lights that Lighten up your Patio in 2021
Best Vintage backyard lights
Are you organizing a joyous occasion on your patio? If so, Lemontec stock lights are a must. You can use these lights during dinner, meetings, tents, as well as weddings. But the occasions don’t have to be outdoors. The lights are great even for indoors. The good thing is that these lights are extremely easy to use. They come with an E12 chandelier socket base, capable of connecting up to 2.5 strings.
One of the most attractive features of the lights is the fact that the strands have a reliable end-to-end connection. With that, you can connect a series of up to three strands if you have a large area to cover. So instead of a single 25-foot chain, you can multiply the length to 75 feet for larger areas. Each string comes with 25 G40 bulbs connected end to end. The internal between each successive bulbs is 12 inches.
Basically, the bulbs require 110V power. They will not consume too much power, since they are a 5-watt affair. When you have a special occasion, pull the lights out and plug them into an electrical outlet. Like that, you will get the lights up and running.
- Comes with 5-watt bulbs
- Has an end-to-end connection to connect series
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- I may not be able to take a hard time
- The series is too thin for outdoor use
- A whole series will pop when a light comes on
Best Globe Outdoor String Lights
Outdoor string lights are not created the same. While some show a sense of elegance in their simplicity, others do not. Lampat Globe String Lights are ideal for decorating places for birthdays, weddings, and celebrations such as anniversaries. Each string spans 25 feet and has a maximum of 25 G40 bulbs spaced 12 inches apart. To cover large areas, the ropes come with a convenient end-to-end connection. As such, you will find a 6-inch male plug on one end and a 6-inch female connector on the other.
Although interconnected, the bulbs hardly influence the work of others. Essentially, each bulb is on its own. Breaking one does not mean that the others will not work. All you will have to do to replace the untempered burned bulb with the rest.
Great for use outdoors as well as indoors, the lights work well on pool umbrellas, parties, patios, patios, bistro, tents, and decks. The design is elegant and classic at the same time. They are definitely among the best string lights out there. Weighing just 1.25 pounds, the lights are lightweight and easy to suspend in the space you plan to use.
- The bulbs can be connected end to end
- The outlet bulbs are easy to replace
- A classic and elegant set of lights
- Provides only one color of light
- The brightness level is only one
- Bullets can burn out without warning
Best Waterproof Indoor Outdoor String Lights
Outdoor patio light strings must be durable. They must have the ability to withstand harsh temperatures, wind, and rain. But not all outdoor patio string lights are designed to do that. The 50ft Black String Outdoor Lighting Tent Lights are both durable and beautiful too. Thus, they can withstand the ravages of time while making your patio look beautiful. They are basically balloon-style lights that look great in your space.
Each strand comes with a 50-foot cord. On the wire are 60 incandescent bulbs sitting at 12-inch intervals. As such, the chain can cover a large area to provide you with sufficient lighting. If you have visitors coming to your home, having these lights in place is likely to leave a lasting impression on them. To bring the lights to life or go out at a particular time, you may attach a timer or dimmer. That way, you don’t have to be around to turn the lights on or off.
When you buy these lights, all the bulbs will arrive at you intact. As an addition, you will get 10 extra lights. This is to ensure that you can replace any faulty lights. Setting up these lights is quick and easy. You don’t have to be a trained and experienced electrician. The lights come with a detailed guide, a replacement fuse, and 100 zip lines. Just everything you need to configure them correctly.
- Made to withstand the ravages of time
- The cable is 50 feet long
- Comes with 10 additional lights
- Reports of light bulbs burning out quickly
- Reports of light bulbs breaking during the hanging process
- Comes with bulbs
Best vintage string lights
The best patio string lights are supposed to be sturdy enough to withstand the ravages of the weather outside. Brightown Outdoor String Lights are designed to withstand rain, wind, and extreme temperatures. They are safe to use and will last a long time, thanks to the included replacement fuse.
You will find these lights extremely easy to install. All you need to do is attach, fix, or wire tie up virtually anywhere you want. Generally, patio string lights are 25 feet long and have a total of 25 sockets. There is one bulb every 12 inches with the male connector on a 6-inch lead and the female connector on a 6-inch tail.
Each bulb has a 5-watt capacity and is capable of producing light, warm, white light. It is possible to save energy by turning off the brightness of the bulbs. The bulbs are portable and easy to take with you wherever you go.
You can then install it in commercial settings such as a wedding reception, umbrella market cafe, field barbecue, gazebo, pergola, garden, or balcony. If you notice anything unusual, contact the seller and they will sort it out.
- Suitable and safe to use in extreme weather conditions
- The lights are easy to install – all you need is to plug in properly
- 5-watt bulbs with warm white light can save energy
- Some users have found the installation process to be time-consuming
- The globe bulbs will shut off when discarded on the ground
- Reports of bulbs dying without much a notice
Best LED Outdoor String Lights of 2021
Best Dimmable LED Series Lights
Looking for a set of string lights to set up the venue for your Christmas party? The TaoTronics LED String Lights TT-SL036 not only provides strong enough lighting but also provides the perfect decoration for the holidays. In fact, the lights are bright enough to illuminate the dark corners of your patio. Not only do they make people feel welcome to the party, but they also create a sense of romance.
The good thing about these lights is that you can send them via the remote control. The brightness is adjustable to a maximum of 10 levels. That means you have the freedom to choose the level of brightness for your party.
In addition, you can adjust between the different modes including strobe, smooth, or flash options. By switching from one mode to another, you will be able to make room for an infinitely vibrant party environment.
Another attractive thing about these string lights is that they are weatherproof. You can use them outdoors without worrying about the effects of the elements on them. They produce a warm white and yellow light that is both cheerful and warm. Accompanying the lights is a low-profile power adapter that is easy to conceal.
- Allows adjustment to a maximum of 10 brightness levels
- Characteristics of an insulated copper cable
- An easy-to-hide, low-profile power adapter
- To use the remote, you have to be in a direct line of sight
- Light reports are not as yellow as expected
- Fade features don’t seem to work well
See More: Best Gazebos Of 2021
Best Indoor Outdoor White Holiday Lights
When it comes to decorating special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, or Christmas parties, it is not enough to have string lights in only one color. The monotony created by the unique color takes the emotion out of the whole thing.
That is why you need but a multi-colored lightbox from GE String. They will not only illuminate your space but will also dazzle and entertain your guests. What else can you expect from the elegance that comes with dance lights?
The package included two boxes, each containing a string of 100 multi-colored lights. That means you can use the strings to cover a larger area than you would with a single string. In fact, GE series lights are designed to be connected end-to-end in sets of 5. That means a single connection would provide you with 500 multi-color lights.
Did you know that you can use these lights both indoors and outdoors? Thus, you do not have to stick to the open air. Why is fun inside the house not contagious? Since you have two boxes of lights in one package, buying this product is inexpensive. Try the lights for your home decorations during the holidays.
- It reaches the packages instead of one
- Multi-color serial lights
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Reports of lights failing on light without warning
- When one light bulb goes out, others fail
- Attempts to adjust the lights may blow them out
Best LED Series Lights for the Big Yard
If you believe in sustainable sources of energy, these solar-powered string lights are for you. Instead of relying on electricity from the grid, they use solar energy. To charge the battery, expose the solar panel to the sun. When fully charged, the battery can power the lights for up to 8 hours.
With these lights, you will save money by avoiding high energy costs. Also, you will have the authority to tell people about climate change. If anything, your actions will speak for themselves.
During the day, the battery charges automatically. As soon as the darkness sets, the lights come on to illuminate your space. What you will get is a set of IP65 waterproof lights for indoor and outdoor use. Apart from acting as decorations during special occasions, you can use these string lights for soft light in the bedroom. They provide a maximum of 8 light modes ranging from constant to various levels of blush.
Once you install these lights, you won’t have to change them manually. In fact, during the day, the battery automatically starts charging. At night, the lights come on. Once you are done using it, you can wrap the string and store it until you need them next. The package included a 72-foot string of 200 LED lights. Since they are solar-powered, the lights are durable.
- eco solar lights
- suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Automatic on / off
- Don’t stick to a modality
- Reports of lights dimmed for no apparent reason
- Controller Stop Reports Stop Working Unexpectedly
Best Indoor LED String Lights with Timer
One thing about LED lights is that they can produce a warm inviting glow. If you are looking to give your party or celebration oomph, these are the lights you need. With Koopower LED series LED lights, you get up to 200 bulbs in a 69-foot string. That is long enough to cover a considerable space in your home. Whether you have a birthday, anniversary, wedding, or Christmas party, these lights will work wonders.
The lights come with 8 different modes through which the brightness can be adjusted to different levels. You can dim or increase the brightness depending on the type of decoration you want for your occasion. All this, thanks to the remote control that provides a very convenient operation.
Using the timer, you can set the lights to be on for 6 hours and off for 18 hours. So you won’t have to remember to turn the lights on or off. When the set time arrives, the lights will turn off or turn off as expected.
Only it is important to set the mode you want before turning on the timer. Instead of connecting directly to the mains, the lights have a low voltage adapter. Therefore, they are safer to use than other types of string lights.
- A safe low voltage adapter
- Has an on/off timer
- Works with a remote control
- Not suitable for outdoors
- Reports of nuisance lighting modes
- Reports of a dimmer malfunction
Best Outdoor Solar String Lights of 2021
Best solar string lights for large patios
With simple solar lights, you can easily dazzle and wow your home visitors during the holidays. Although it helps save the planet, you can use these lights to provide a romantic or festive atmosphere, depending on the occasion. The good thing about these string lights is multi-color. That simply means that they can complement the other decorations you choose to use.
To reiterate, these are solar-powered lights. During the day, the battery will charge so that it accumulates enough power for use at night. A built-in sensor automatically switches the lights on at night and off as soon as sunlight appears.
With these lights, you can say goodbye to high energy bills that come in shortly after the holidays. The tones that these lights provide can be white, warm white, blue, or multi-color. Basically, the choice of shade is yours.
There is nothing complicated about these lights. It has an on / off button and bi-mode. There is no need for special training to operate the lights. The chain itself is perfect for outdoor use. It can perfectly withstand rainy weather, so there is no need to remove them. The package includes a mounting spike, a series of LED lights, and a solar panel.
- Cost-effective solar-powered lights
- Easy to operate
- Provides light in different shades
- Reports of cables separating
- They don’t work well in stormy weather
- Some lights may fail after riding
Best Solar Outdoor String Lights
What’s the point in having outdoor string lights that break down easily in hot, humid weather? Mpow solar string lights are made to resist water and heat. The chain itself is made of IP64 material, which is heat resistant and waterproof all at the same time. So by using these lights outdoors, you don’t have to worry about the elements being washed away by the elements.
The string is 33 feet long and has a total of 100 LED lights. They provide a warm light that has the ability to bring excitement to your lawn, front door, porch, patio, garden, or patio. You can wear them during weddings, anniversaries and Christmas parties.
It works in 8 different modes like waves, fireflies, combination, twinkle, constant, and so on. This allows you to choose the light mode you want for your lights. Once you do, the lights will work in that mode until you decide to change it.
The ultra-thin copper wire is very strong and very durable. You can link the chain around any shape and store it when not in use. The solar panel has been updated to give you up to 10 hours of light when the battery is fully charged. They come with an automatic on / off switch to light up at night and unplug during the day.
- The battery can supply the lights with power for up to 10 hours
- The series is heat resistant and waterproof
- It has eight light modes
- The on/off button is not easy
- Lights tend to get darker over time
- Some strands may fail for no reason
Best 22-Pack Solar String Lights
Looking for eco-friendly string lights for the holidays? If so, you need to buy Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String Lights. Like other solar-powered string lights, these do not require you to connect to mains electricity.
So you won’t have to worry about paying high energy bills after the holidays. When the sun rises, the solar panel begins to charge the battery. A fully charged battery will power the lights for up to 10 hours at night.
Did you know that Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String Lights are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use? Whether you need them in the yard, garden, or patio, the lights will work great.
The cable itself is made using the IP65 material which is heat resistant and waterproof. No worries about lights being shorted out during a storm. Inside, the lights are great for setting the right bedroom set for a romantic evening.
The rope measures a total of 72 feet and is filled with 200 LED lights. With a single strand, you can cover a large space. The lights work in up to 8 modes. They are easy to use, given the two buttons on the switch. In any case, the lights turn on automatically in the daytime and at night during the day. You don’t have to do it yourself.
- eco solar lights
- suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Automatic on / off
- Don’t stick to a modality
- Reports of lights dimmed for no apparent reason
- Controller Stop Reports Stop Working Unexpectedly
Best Weatherproof Solar String Lights
The advantage of having solar-powered string lights is that you don’t have to plug them into the electricity from your electrical grid. That’s the same case with the Amir Upgraded Solar Powered String Lights. When the sunlight is on, the solar panel charges the battery.
At night when the lights come on, they will draw their power directly from the battery. For this particular product, the battery lasts a maximum of 14 hours when fully charged. That’s longer than the time it takes for most other solar-powered string lights.
With a heat-resistant and heat-resistant IP65 outer shell, the laces and durable and suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. So they can be used in the rain without worrying about possible short circuits. You can install the lights in your garden, patio, patio, or gate. It doesn’t matter if you have a wedding, birthday, anniversary, or Christmas party. The lights can amaze and dazzle your visitors.
The lights come with only two toggle buttons, making them easy to use. You only need to turn on the lights at once. When the darkness sets, the lights turn on automatically. As soon as the sun rises in the sky, they will go out. You don’t have to be there to do all of that. Additionally, the lights are designed to provide illumination at a 360-degree angle. What can beat that?
- Easy to operate
- Maximum illumination time up to 14 hours
- Weatherproof and great for the outdoors
- No ability to remember the last light mode
- The more the series, the dimmer of the light
- Reports of lights rotating too much
How To Choose The Best Patio Series Lights – The Ultimate Buying Guide
String lights are perfect for pathways, patios, gardens, gates, and other indoor and outdoor spaces. Aside from being more affordable than standard lights, string lights are also quite durable. That means you can expect to have them in use for the longest time after installation.
Given the sheer number of standard outdoor lights out there, it takes an eye to know the perfect one to choose from. When buying one of these products, you have to be well acquainted with things like the length of the string, type of bulb, power source, light color, and design. In short, buying string lights is not as simple as you might think. The following are some of the questions you need to answer:
What kind of serial light is it?
There are three main types of string lights on the market including outdoor patio lights, LED patio lights, outdoor solar patio lights. We discuss all these types of lights in detail below:
- Outdoor Patio Lights: If you are buying lights for use in your garden, patio, or path, then it is definitely an outdoor patio light. They are designed to withstand harsh weather, including heat from the sun and rainwater. For the cord covers, these lights feature heat-resistant and waterproof material such as IP64 or IP65. The advantage of the waterproof material is that it will not allow water in. this will avoid any short circuit.
- LED Patio Lights: LED patio lights are known to use quite a bit of energy to emit the most amount of light. Also, they last a long time. Since they use little energy, LED lights are more environmentally friendly than incandescent ones. It is because of these advantages that you will find LED lights to be more expensive. For the most part, the price ranges from $ 10 to $ 30. They can be connected to a solar panel or a mains electricity socket.
- Solar Patio Lights: Solar-powered string lights have taken the market by storm. They are designed to be used by people who care about protecting the environment. Since they do not use electricity from the grid, they usually help in saving energy bills. For the most part, they are designed for use outdoors. They come with an automatic on/off feature, which works based on whether the sun is up or down. At night, the lights will turn on automatically only to turn off as soon as the sun rises in the morning.
What style of series light is it?
Outdoor string lights have been around for a long time, even though they have only become more popular in recent times. As such, they come in three distinct styles, namely the traditional, the string, and the net lights. Below is a detailed look at each of these string light styles.
- Traditional string lights: Traditional string lights are most commonly used for decorations during parties and other special occasions. Due to their association with the holidays, they are also known as Christmas lights. The bulbs come in a circuit which means that the cut of one light bulb affects all the others. They are cheaper than all other styles of string lights and are easily broken. That means they are not designed to be used outdoors.
- Rope String Lights: This style of string lights is a slight improvement from the traditional ones. Unlike traditional string lights, the cut of one bulb does not affect the rest. Most of them allow you to replace the broken light so that the entire unit continues to function perfectly. Many of the models under this category are designed for both outdoor and indoor use. This is because the laces have a special outer jacket that is heat and water-resistant.
- Net lights: As the name suggests, this type of light exists in the form of nets rather than strings. Instead of a continuous chain connecting the bulbs, you will get a web. When lit, they give a starry night appearance.
What is the source of energy?
To provide you with the light you need, string lights need a power source. It can be either the main power or the solar panel. Each of them is convenient and advantageous in its own way. These are the details:
- Mains Electricity: Several of the string lights described in this review can be connected to a source of electricity to make it work. Some may need a 110V connection while others need a low voltage adapter.
- Solar Panel: Still, other string lights are totally solar-powered. During the day, the solar panel charges a battery. When darkness falls, the battery turns the lights on for a considerable period of time ranging from 6 to 14 hours. Solar-powered string lights are environmentally friendly and help you save money when it comes to energy bills.
Are the standard lights Durable?
Some people have made the mistake of buying string lights that lasted only a few days. Many of them ended up asking for a replacement. Is that what you really want? That is why it is necessary to read the reviews carefully before buying any type of string lights. Also, look at the design.
On the market, you will find a set of lights made of a material that really lasts a long time. Beware of anything with materials marked as heat resistant or waterproof. These are the best.
How Energy-Efficient Are the Lights
In the market, you will find string lights with different types of bulbs. While incandescent lights are popular, they tend to be very power-hungry. The best are the LED bulbs that come with comparatively low wattage. So if your main concern is the amount of money you are paying for your energy bills, be sure to buy string lights with LED bulbs.
Alternatively, you can opt for solar-powered lights that don’t require you to connect to a power source. But that doesn’t mean you compromise on the intensity of the light. You will be surprised that some LED bulbs are brighter than incandescent ones. To get the best, you just have to look carefully.
What Bright Are The String Lights?
The required brightness level of string lights can vary depending on who is buying them. Some people are fine with lights that seem a little dim while others need very bright.
It also depends on when the lights are used. Therefore, care must be taken when selecting string lights. You don’t want to end up with a set of lights that are too bright or too dim. The main factor to consider is the rating of the bulbs for the bulbs.
Are the lights safe to use in your home?
Some string lights can be unsafe for use in the home, especially with children and pets running around everywhere. Therefore, please do not buy any string lights. Buy lights with cool and safe bulbs. Furthermore, the materials used must be environmentally safe. As such, you may have to purchase UL-certified bulbs. These will work while remaining safe for you, your pets, and your children.
Outdoor string lights also need to be able to withstand the ravages of the elements. They should work perfectly even when it’s raining. But for this, they need to be waterproof. That means that the material used to make the outer covering of the cord must be waterproof. That way, the lights will be able to withstand short circuits that come due to rain. This is a security aspect that you cannot ignore.
What is your budget?
When it comes down to the final purchase decision, your budget will determine if you can actually have the lights. Incandescent lights are generally cheaper. They cost up to $ 35. However, LED lights are more cost-effective. They can cost less or more than $ 35, but they last longer and use less energy. That means it will cost less in terms of energy bills. Even though they have a higher starting price, LED lights are cheaper in the long run.
If you look in the right places, it is likely to occur with many different types of string lights. That is why you must be careful when choosing the type to buy. The buying guide discussed here is the best way to know exactly what you are putting your money into. Also, check the reviews to see if you find something you like. In the end, your choice comes down to your needs and budget. Be sure to take all of that into consideration.